About Me

Most people call me Flagg. I'm from a small town south of St. Louis and just graduated from the University of Missouri. Photojournalist by trade, I use this blog to visualize my life and surroundings. Aside from photo, my great loves are my family, food, the St. Louis Cardinals and Queen. I'm open to go anywhere in the world and experience everything.

Monday, May 18, 2009

They all went down to Amsterdam

My program in London ended April 24th and I was not ready to leave the wonderful continent of Europe. Lainey's program ended that time as well so we planned a small Eurotrip before heading back to American flags and cars. Our first stop was Amsterdam. Aside from drugs and hookers, the city was unlike any other in Europe. Similar to Venice, Amsterdam had canals running through its city and much of its economy operated through boats. However, roads still existed and absolutely everyone biked.The city had few tourist sights, but those that it had were profound. Our first stop was the Anne Frank House. Not only was the Secret Annex turned into a museum, but it told a story more completely than any exhibit could dare to explain. We also went to the Rijks Museum and saw the famous paintings of Rembrandt and Vermeer- the artist who painted Girl with a Pearl Earing. The Dutch had some pretty impressive artists.
Lainey and I had amazing timing. We hit Amsterdam the day before their Queen's Day celebration. Take St. Patrick's Day and apply it to Amsterdam. Fairs, parties and their national color of orange was everywhere. In Amsterdam, literally anything goes. Walk into a store and buy a cannibus joint, or another store and buy magic mushrooms. Sex shops are more common than McDonald's and the Red Light district is NOT an exaggeration. I didn't take any pictures there. If I tried, the prostitutes would have come out and broken my camera right in front of my face.We rode the swings at night over Dam Square

No comments:

 
Camping in Wales