About Me

Most people call me Flagg. I'm from a small town south of St. Louis and just graduated from the University of Missouri. Photojournalist by trade, I use this blog to visualize my life and surroundings. Aside from photo, my great loves are my family, food, the St. Louis Cardinals and Queen. I'm open to go anywhere in the world and experience everything.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Picture Story Reading 5

Radio: Glass and Abel

This was my first collegiate reading in the form of comic book. Seriously, I felt like I was reading ‘Sally Forth.’ I loved it. The reading focused on collecting and editing good audio for a radio story, but was applicable to any audio interview. Glass and Abel said, ‘a story can be told as a sequence of actions,’ and that a character was needed to relate to people and tie the story together.

I agreed with their pre-interviewing tactics: to go in with a general plan with key plot questions and then obtaining details whenever possible. One thing I need to improve upon is asking the subject to create a visual picture: where they were standing, what they were doing before ‘it’ happened, etc.

Lastly, I had never heard of logging and audio interview. I thought editing was listening in Audacity and cutting out the parts that didn’t make sense/weren’t relevant and then ordering it so it told a story. The idea of a log simplifies the process and creates a story automatically. Thank you, comic audio lesson.

Sound in the Story

Not quite as entertaining, but still useful. The reading was a very strict, to-the-point commentary about what to do and not do in an interview. Necessary, but redundant of things we have covered in other classes. Still, the refresher was nice. The components a good audio can piece include: interview, ambience, natural sound, voice-over and supplemental music. I’ve never questioned ambient sound as being inauthentic. The thought that some audio shows may incorporate sounds not from the story is shocking.

No comments:

 
Camping in Wales