About Me

Most people call me Flagg. I'm from a small town south of St. Louis and just graduated from the University of Missouri. Photojournalist by trade, I use this blog to visualize my life and surroundings. Aside from photo, my great loves are my family, food, the St. Louis Cardinals and Queen. I'm open to go anywhere in the world and experience everything.

Monday, June 1, 2009

Kutna Hora: Mines and Bones

Since we were in Prague for three days, we decided to take a day trip out to Kutna Hora- a small town about an hour away from the city. Why Kutna Hora? Well, the Google machine told me there was a bone church there. A Bone Church? Yes, a church made out of bones. Bones from victims of the Black Plague to be exact. These bones sat around for two hundred years before some royalty decided to make a sick church out of them.*** Odd things belowA bone chandelier hung from the ceiling. I didn't know bones smelled, but this place smelled of bones.
Called the Kostnice Ossuary, the Bone Church is eerie to say the least. Aside from the musty marrow smell, the skulls almost seem to have facial expressions. A bone coat of arms was made to represent one of the family who commissioned the project. Over 40,000 bodies decorate the church.40,000 was a little more than they needed, so the designers built large chambers on the sides of the church and just piled up the bones... decoratively.
The town also had an old siver mine. After the church and food, we took a trip down there. During a tour completely in Czech- where we couldn't understand a word- we explored the mine and its leftover deposits. Pretty awesome, slightly claustrophobic, and hilariously funny, we dominated that mine and headed back to Praha.

No comments:

 
Camping in Wales