About Me

Most people call me Flagg. I'm from a small town south of St. Louis and just graduated from the University of Missouri. Photojournalist by trade, I use this blog to visualize my life and surroundings. Aside from photo, my great loves are my family, food, the St. Louis Cardinals and Queen. I'm open to go anywhere in the world and experience everything.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Culture to the Extreme

This weekend was a cultural overload- in a very good way. Saturday and Sunday created so many new and fantastic inlets to two distinct cultures, I thought my Festus self was going to explode.

Saturday, Caitlin and I went to our first English football match. We took the train out of London and saw AFC Wimbledon play for the lead in their division. The stadium only held about 4,700 people, but almost 6,000 packed into watch the important game. Few people sat in seats, most were standing on the sides and crowding out of the stadium. Fans have a different attitude than in American sports. Not a care for profanity, people screamed out, "You cunt!" and "Get off you dogs!" and many other things that I don't want to post. They sang songs and went absolutely crazy when 'the dons' won the game.The game was sold out, so many people climbed the walls to see the action- very 1950's baseball.
Saturday night, a group of us went to a dance club called the Zoo Bar. As far as clubs go, it was extremely posh and had two levels of dance floors (techno and then pop/80's). I loved it. The atmosphere was electric. See the website from the link- no pictures from this one ;)

I switched gears on Sunday and went for the Chinese culture. Although the Chinese New Year was January 26th, the big celebration in Trafalgar Square was this Sunday. The celebrations lasted for hours and I don't know if I've ever been so cold and so surrounded by people. An estimated 20,000 people were packed into Trafalgar during the six hour ceremony. But the fantastic performances and decorations made my almost-hypothermic state worth it. Warning- the spellings on the captions are atrocious- I just guessed as the announcers were saying the names.The road to Chinatown.
The massive crowd at Trafalgar- I thought I was going to get trampled by Asians several times.
The Cheng brothers doing a pole-jumping routine. They jumped from these poles while on top of each other in a lion costume... put my coordination to shame.A fashion show.

The dancers of the E Minority from Tibet danced to "Praising the Wind," song. The group performs at weddings, celebrations and even sacrificial events.
From the Ching Hi region, one of the biggest provinces in China, this group dances to a song dedicated to fire.
So that was my weekend- pretty intense. Next weekend a group of us are going to Wales for an adventure weekend. I'll be surfing (brrrr), coasteering (jumping off cliffs) and hiking. I'm thrrrilllleed!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The trip to Wales sounds wonderful except for the cliff Diving. As a parent thousands of miles away. This is hard to hear!

 
Camping in Wales