About Me

Most people call me Flagg. I'm from a small town south of St. Louis and just graduated from the University of Missouri. Photojournalist by trade, I use this blog to visualize my life and surroundings. Aside from photo, my great loves are my family, food, the St. Louis Cardinals and Queen. I'm open to go anywhere in the world and experience everything.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Photography Protest in Scotland Yard

Today (2/16/09) at work I had an interesting experience. At around 10:30am, the photo editor hustles over to my desk and says ‘Grab your camera, we’re going to a photography protest.” Not one to ask for details, I hurried my rear after him. He told me that currently, political activists were trying to pass legislation banning the photographing of policemen due to the threat of terrorism. Um, do you know ANY terrorist event that has resulted from the photographing of policemen? No? Shocking.

A man pins a sticker on 'V' that says, "I'm a photographer, not a terrorist."
Such the custom of London, photographers staged a protest. My fourth protest was the most calm; an officer took down only one person. Mostly, participants took pictures of the police standing outside the New Scotland Yard. A few people were dressed up in Guy Fawkes/V for Vendetta attire and nearly everyone had a camera constantly clicking.
Three protesters flick off Scotland Yard.
I call this one: Three Bald Men.
Double fisting.
Check out the death stare.
Mark Thomas speaks at the protest.
At the end of the day, as much as I like my rights as a photographer, I felt bad for the policemen that had to organize the riots. Some photographers got in their faces to take pictures, which would have more than pushed my buttons. Alas, maybe I am a softie after all.

No comments:

 
Camping in Wales